While Houston faces an intimidating budget deficit, the mayor John Whitmire signals the dissatisfaction with the city’s financial director, the controller Chris Hollins, on his calls for a collaboration effort to take up the challenge.
THE Budget deficit projected for 2026 bolts This month at more than $ 330 million after the city has lost a fight against the courts concerning infrastructure spending which dates back to 2019. From the end of June, Houston must allocate an additional $ 100 million per year in streets and drainage.
After News of loss of court Broke, Hollins warned that he may not be able to certify next year’s budget without major reductions or new important income. He called for a joint emergency working group to approach the deficit, composed of himself, of the mayor’s office and the members of the municipal council.
“While we look forward to the budget to come and the next exercise, we simply do not have the money in the bank that would allow us to execute another record deficit like that,” said Hollins Houston public media Friday. “We need an immediate change and that the emergency working group I asked will allow us to put the best ideas on the table, to assess them and to their financial impact, and to propose a plan that goes Protect the Houstonians while taking a financial approach manager. “”
In a declaration at Houston public mediaWhitmire said Hollins “should stop doing politics with a serious case.”
“” My team is competent and fully committed to resolving this problem, “wrote Whitmire.” This challenge did not start in 2019. This is the one that my administration inherited. I ran for the mayor to repair Houston, and that’s exactly what we are doing. “
The Houston Municipal Council has approved Whitmire’s first budget With a structural deficit of more than $ 200 million last year, while Hollins warned against the trial awaiting infrastructure. Advice too Certainly at the request of Whitmire not to increase land taxes After the mayor obtained more than $ 30 million in state funding to cover debris collection after Hurricane Beryl in July.
Wednesday, Whitmire has unveiled a large -scale study study of the city government by the professional service company Ernst & Young. Among its conclusions, the study identified ineffectures in city spending On external sellers. The Whitmire office said that the fight against recommendations could allow the City to save up to 15% on its expenses, although it refused to provide a specific amount before the mayor published his proposal for a budget for 2026.
“There have just been ineffectiveness and blatant duplications and a lack of responsibility for years, but it will end now,” said Whitmire.
The mayor’s office pointed out that the study, which cost the city $ 580,000, does not request layoffs.
When it comes to tackling the deficit, Hollins said that a 15% reduction in expenses “would do it” – but he pointed out that the report lacked details on where exactly the cuts would occur And how much they would save.
“The Ernst & Young report is a step in the right direction,” said Hollins. “In the end, the report, although positive, is always a report. What we need is a plan.”
Whitmire’s criticism of Hollins are in a one -year tension model between elected officials. Hollins was a first challenger in the town hall race in 2023 before Abandon and rent the end of the United States, Sheila Jackson Lee After entering the fray.
Since then, Hollins has warned against the financial implications of Whitmire Brockbustwho contributed to the decision of two credit rating agencies To reduce their prospects on the city’s financial situationand the pair negotiated the beards on the influence of corporate event donors.
“My job is not to come here and to be the best friends with other elected officials,” said Hollins. “My job is to be the city’s financial guard dog and, when we see challenges on the horizon, to call them.”
Asked about the proposal of the Hollins working group, the Council member, Sallie Alcorn, who co -chaired the budget and tax affairs committee, took a more diplomatic tone. In a statement, Alcorn said that she had not spoken with Hollins of the working group, but it was “opened to participate in one”. She said that finance director Melissa Dubowski, who was appointed by Whitmire, is expected to be part of the group.
“I have the impression that the liberation by the mayor Whitmire of the study (Ernst & Young) on the level of the city yesterday, efforts are already underway to fill the budgetary gap, by specifically putting Management of contract expenditure in a more strategic way, “wrote Alcorn.
To carry out the suggestions of the efficiency report, the Whitmire office plans to request another contract with Ernst & Young. The city has until the end of June to approve a new budget.